Tuesday 16 September 2014

Bark Painting

We had some pretty big storms here last week with some very strong winds. While I was driving I noticed some large sheets of bark that had blown straight off some paperbark trees.
I thought this was an amazing opportunity to do some bark painting with my kids at school and to talk about Aboriginal art.


We used colours that are often used in Aboriginal art and sticks and cotton buds to paint with.


I drew some simple designs for the children to paint.



As I had set up this painting activity outside the children collected other natural materials like small flowers and tried to paint with them as well.


This activity promoted so much language and was a wonderful sensory activity.



I love it when you find something interesting like this which provides the inspiration for so many learning experiences. My program didn't include Aboriginal dot painting last week but proved to be wonderful spontaneous teaching opportunity.
Niccola

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool technique is this!! I have created so many Aboriginal Art paintings but didn’t try this, I Bark Painting till now. I really liked this one. I will definitely try this at my home. Could you provide some tips for Bark Painting?

    ReplyDelete