Tuesday 14 January 2014

Learning with Straws




Straws at the playdough table:
Children can make some amazing cakes out of playdough and use straws cut into different lengths to make candles. This is a great way of getting young children to practice their counting in a play situation.


Straws as art:
Straws of different thicknesses can be cut into various lengths for children to create beautiful necklaces. Older children could be encouraged to make patterns and cut the straws into small segments.



Straws as numbers:
Using a combination of straws and pipe cleaners, children can make numbers.


Straws at the light table:
After cutting the straws into short lengths, write the letters of the alphabet on the straws and ask children to put them in alphabetical order in little cups.


Straw decorations:
Glue the straws together with hot glue and then cut out the desired shape.


Straw rafts:
This was definitely a favourite in my house! The biggest question was which raft could stay afloat the longest.



Messages on straws:
I thought this would be a cute way to reinforce the child's name or some simple sight words you could be working on with your child.


Please leave me a message to let me know what you think... I would love to hear from you.

5 comments:

  1. What a creative idea! My kids love playing with straws. My guys enjoy turning 2 straws into into a mini-sword. :) Thanks for sharing via Family Fun Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these ideas! Will definitely be on the lookout for colorful straws now! Thank you for sharing. P.S. The rafts are beyond cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a problem thinking, "How can I find a job to do with the piles and piles of straws that I have stacked up in my room?" I've been searching up straw crafts and this helped me a lot. I actually have something to do when I meet my cousins and they won't be bored and tired of me babysitting them! They would love the necklace! There's no end to creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. High quality Karat Boba Straws black color straws are 10mm wide and perfect for drinks that contain add-ons such as boba, pudding, jelly, or fruit bits. Each straw is diagonally cut at one end to puncture sealing film

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a art, I loved your creativity.

    エコロー is providing sugarcane straw that would lovely on your creativity. Instead of pasting plastic straw, use sugarcane straw.

    ReplyDelete